Local fire departments kept busy Easter weekend

Posted

AMBOY – Easter weekend was a busy few days for the Amboy and Sublette Fire Departments as they were called to four structure fires in less than 34 hours. Sublette’s Fire Department responded Auto-Aid to Amboy with Engine, Tenders, Chief’s, and Ambulance if available.

There was a confirmed barn fire in the 1300 block of IL Route 52, in Amboy boundaries, at 2:51 p.m., Friday, April 8. Assistance came from Franklin Grove, Harmon, West Brooklyn, LaMoille, Compton, Paw Paw, Ohio, Lee, Stillman Valley, Walnut, Troy Grove, Earlville, Princeton, Rock Falls, Ashton and Byron.

At 12:01 a.m., Saturday, April 9 there was a reported fire in the basement of a home in the 1400 block of Amboy Road. When units arrived, they found the fire had already spread to the first floor and walls. Assistance came from Dixon Rural and City, Rock Falls, Advanced EMS, Lee, Amboy, Princeton, Harmon, West Brooklyn, LaMoille, Compton, Paw Paw, Mendota Troy Grove, Byron, Mt. Morris, Polo, and Ogle-Lee Flagg Center and Steward.

Another barn fire was confirmed in the 1300 block of IL Route 52 at 6:55 p.m., Saturday. This barn fire was at a different location than the fire on Friday.

At 12:32 a.m. Sunday, April 10, a fully engulfed porch fire in the 200 block of East Bluff St., Amboy, was called in. Before the fire departments could arrive, the fire had reached the residence. Assistance came from Dixon City and Rural, Rock Falls, Lee, Franklin Grove, CGH and the Lee County Sheriff.

Both barns and both homes were total loses. 

The Sublette Fire Department posted on their Facebook page, “We want to thank all of our members for their hard work and dedication. Thanks to all the surrounding neighboring departments that came to assist. Know that joining your local fire department does not just help your community but helps many others. Thank you to our wonderful 911 Dispatchers for everything they do.”

A disclaimer was posted on the Amboy Fire Department Facebook page stating:

“We can’t stress enough, every home needs working smoke alarms. A fire can turn fatal in minutes if there are no early detection devices. If you or someone you know living in Amboy are in need of a smoke detector, please message our page as soon as possible.

“Please be aware of your surroundings and practice basic fire safety. Report any suspicious activity in your neighborhoods. We are fortunate to share that there have been no civilian injuries, however one dog did perish in a house fire.”